Newcastle have officially confirmed the club-record signing of striker Nick Woltemade - a deal which could unlock Alexander Isak's move to Liverpool.
Woltemade, 23, flew out to Tyneside on Thursday night to complete his medical checks before putting pen to paper on a six-year contract.
However, the frontman, who stands at 6ft 6in, has not been registered in time to make his debut against Leeds United on Saturday evening.
He will wear the No 27 at St James' Park and has arrived for a fee which eclipses the £63m Newcastle splashed out to sign Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad in 2022.
The move has brought to a close the club's protracted pursuit of a striker.
It comes after a secret summit involving Newcastle's owners at Isak's home on Monday, which failed to convince him to stay despite fierce interest from Liverpool.
Newcastle have officially confirmed the signing of Nick Woltemade in a £65million deal
Woltemade met Eddie Howe and his new team-mates shortly after arriving in the UK
The big money switch may unlock Alexander Isak's British-record transfer to Liverpool
Liverpool
Arsenal
*18+, excludes NI. Terms and conditions apply
Indeed, the Swede reiterated his desire to move to Anfield and sources have told Daily Mail Sport there is an acceptance that a sale would be best for all parties.
Two bids for Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larsen were rejected earlier this week and the club moved quickly to sign Woltemade, a long-time Bayern Munich target.
Woltemade said: 'I'm really happy to be at this amazing club. From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.
'It's a big step in my life to leave Germany, but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family.
'I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level.
'I know the stadium from watching games on television – it looks amazing and I know the atmosphere is crazy. I'm really excited to play and start scoring goals here.'
Woltemade joined Stutttgart last summer and scored 17 goals in 33 appearances. He also finished as the top scorer at the Under-21 European Championship earlier this summer.
However, it is understood that Newcastle's striker search is not over and, while a deal for Larsen is difficult, there remains hope of progress on Brentford's Yoane Wissa.
Liverpool are now almost certain to return with a second offer for Isak after their opening bid of £110m was rejected earlier this month.
Newcastle have privately insisted they would need two strikers before selling Isak, but the arrival of Woltemade is a significant step closer to a British record deal north of £130m going through before Monday's transfer deadline.